There are two kinds of people in the world: those who go to others for help, and those who have people coming to them for help.
To have the latter be a majority standard in our lives is obviously the prized position. We want to be the person who has a specific knowledge, one that empowers others.
Yet, this only comes when we make ourselves an expert in something.
Many people approached Jesus with the question, “How to get into Heaven?” because He was someone who specialized in that message. People knew He had the answer, and so people depended on Him. Jesus didn’t skate by unnoticed.
There is no problem with leading a quiet life, one where you simply do as you’re told to make the fixed income you know you’re going to get. But I believe saving the world—helping others improve their life—is something each human individual is tasked with.
Like Jesus, we must be how-to people—or in other words, people who hone in on a skill or message to benefit others.
So I must ask: what do you specialize in? What do people come to you for?
Here are a few ways to discover your specialty and become an expert:
- 1. Plot out your passions, hobbies, and daily schedule on a piece of paper. If you find that you are giving special priority in your day to a certain task, and that it gives you joy, you could develop that into your specialty.
- 2. Ask others what you’re good at. Sometimes, we can’t see the skill we’ve been gifted with. But when this happens, we must turn to the perspective of others, to see what we can’t see ourselves.
- 3. Once you discover your passion and specialty, practice that skill. If you truly love the possibility of becoming an expert at this skill, this part won’t be so much a chore. It would be an excitement.
- 4. Build a portfolio on that skill. Offer to showcase your specialty to other for free. Start out benefitting others in small, practical ways.
- 5. Encourage the people you’ve benefitted to spread your message or skill around. Word of mouth will be your most powerful marketing tool when it comes to letting others know about your skill. Tell your friends, family, and early clients to spread your message, and watch as people come to you.
Humanity, through my lens, should work to build one another up. It’s what distinguishes us from zombies, or those feeding on their neighbors. We help, guide, and aid others to improve their lives.
But before you start saving the world like this, find what you specialize in. I promise you it’ll be a fun discovery.
Photography by Mikaela Hamilton
ANNOUNCEMENT: If you are a subscriber, you will receive a special gift in your inbox this weekend! Be on the lookout for it.